When fats, oils and grease (FOG) are put down your drain at home or at work, they can cause many problems further down the sewer pipe. Liquefied grease and fat from animal products can solidify and clog pipes, and liquid oils can coat pipes and contribute to blockages. Blockages may cause a sewer backup into your home, resulting in expensive cleanup costs and repairs to your sewer pipes, home and belongings. Blockages may also trigger an overflow or backup of sewage into streets, parks or waterways, creating a public health risk and threatening the environment.
Simple ways to prevent sewer backups include:
- DO NOT pour fats, oils and grease from cooking down the drain. Instead, collect FOG in a container and dispose of it in the garb
- DO NOT use the sewer to dispose of food scraps; instead, place them in a compost bin, food waste bin or garbag
- DO NOT use the toilet as a wastebasket for garbage and ch
- DO NOT put “flushable wipe” products down the drain.
- DO NOT flush feminine hygiene product Instead, place a wastebasket in the bathroom.
For more information and resources about FOG, please see the FOG page on the City of Lakeport website:
We appreciate your assistance in helping to protect our infrastructure and doing your part!