City of Lakeport, California

Frequently Asked Questions for Business

What types of business licenses are available?

There are three types of City Business Licenses:

  1. An annual license is for persons doing more than two jobs a year within city limits.  If you apply for a license after July, the fee will be pro-rated.  Annual business license fees range from $10 to $150, in addition to a $10 per each employee that works within the city limits and is not the owner.
  2. A one-time business license is for anyone who works within the city limits only once or twice a fiscal year.  This license is valid for only one job/project and is not to exceed thirty (30) days.  A maximum of two (2) one-time business licenses will be issued to an individual per fiscal year.
  3. A home occupation business license is any business occupation conducted within a dwelling by a person(s) residing in that dwelling unit which is clearly incidental and secondary to the residential use of that dwelling.  Home occupations shall be subject to the issuance of a Zoning Permit in accordance with Section 17.22.010 and 17.22.020  of the Lakeport Municipal Code.  There is a one-time fee of $50 at the time of submittal, plus the annual license fee.  If you relocate to another dwelling within the City, the home occupation application must be re-submitted and the $50 fee will be required.

More Business FAQs:

How and when do I renew my business license?

How do I get my sewer lateral certified?

How do I report changes to my business license?

Is there an official list of addresses in the City Limits?

Transient Occupancy Tax: A qualified federal, state, or county officer/employee on official business has requested an exemption from Transient Occupancy Tax. How do I process their exemption?

Transient Occupancy Tax: Can I include the tax in my stated room rate?

Transient Occupancy Tax: How do I calculate the amount of tax due?

Transient Occupancy Tax: How long should I maintain my records?

Transient Occupancy Tax: How often do I need to pay Transient Occupancy Tax?

Transient Occupancy Tax: The last day of the reporting period falls on a Saturday, Sunday or holiday. When is the last day I can pay my Transient Occupancy Tax without penalty?

Transient Occupancy Tax: There has been a change in ownership or a change to other information contained on my registration form, what should I do?

Transient Occupancy Tax: We did not have any guests during the most recent reporting period; we are closed for the season, or all guests stayed over 30 consecutive days. Do we still have to complete a return?

Transient Occupancy Tax: We plan to sell or close the business. What do we need to do?

Transient Occupancy Tax: What is Transient Occupancy Tax?

Transient Occupancy Tax: Where can I get help calculating my tax?

Transient Occupancy Tax: Where do I mail my quarterly return?

Transient Occupancy Tax: Who needs to register for a Transient Occupancy Tax license?

What are the Finance Department hours?

What do I do if my sewer is backing up?

What happens to my business license if I close my business?

What type of work requires a building permit?

What types of business licenses are available?

What workers compensation insurance requirements do I need to be aware of as a contractor, or when hiring a contractor?

When is your billing period?

Where does wastewater go?

Who is required to have a business license?

Why do I have a late fee on my utility bill?

2/5/2019: City Council Meeting


2/19/2019: City Council Meeting


3/5/2019: City Council Meeting


3/19/2019: City Council Meeting


4/2/2019: City Council Meeting


View Event Calendar